Tuesday 12 May 2009

Catch me if you can

I have only a few minutes break from the lab but as I am in the med school and have already bagsied a computer and therefore prevented a medic from studying something that is probably irrelevant I figured I should do something vaguely productive. And that thing is... tell you about my current obsession with pigeons.
I cannot get enough of them.
Now I realise that most people are not fans of the humble woodpigeon. I myself was known to refer to them as sky rats until, well until last week, but all that has changed now.
I blame spending all my day underground without seeing the sky but as soon as I emerge from the hospital and walk through the cancer corridor, also known as the entrance to the hospital where despite massive metre high letters painted on the floor suggesting that this is a NO SMOKING AREA, Men in drips, women in wheelchairs, babies in prams and gaggles of nurses all go outside for the fag they have been denied for the past few hours. There is nothing more peculiar than seeing a man in a robe wheeling out his drip so that he can have a cigarette, do the nurses not mind or maybe mention to him that in his condition, leaving to try and entie lung cancer to take up residence in his lung is not the wisest of ideas?
This may sound like I have a bit of a thing against nurses but thats because I sort of do. I am sure some of it is snobbery rubbed off after watching too much of the doctors in House and Grey's anatomy but some of it they brought on themselves.
Recently (well I say recently but it was awhile ago, not much happens to me ok?) I was in the laundry rooms at my halls and there were some nurses loading their laundry. Now normally I don't sit in the laundry room just watching people load their pants into the machine but after some idiot (probably a nurse) had taken to opening an obviously running washing machine and thus stopping my pants from twirling their way to cleandom I had decided to watch my machine like a hawk, well a hawk that had a book for company, and could read.
So while eavesdropping on the nurses I heard them discussing how to wash their uniforms
Nurse 1: Well I think we just put it in with everything else
Nurse 2: No, I'm sure we have to do it on its own
Nurse 1: No thats not it is it? Something about washing it at 60?
Nurse 2: Really?
Nurse 1: Yeah I remember now we have to wash it at 60
Nurse 2: By itself?
Nurse 1: Who knows eh? I'll just put it in with everything else

She then proceeded to wash it at 40 while I sat their wondering whether its wrong to barge up and pull the uniform out of the machine and scream
"KILL THE BACTERIA FOOL" at her. I am sure most of you don't live as thrilling a life as me and so don't learn of the wonders of aseptic technique etc, but if you want to kill most of the bacteria you invariably would come into contact with as a nurse (say MRSA for example) then it makes sense to me at least to suggest washing it at the hottest temperature. I bet those dirty nurses now go and infect someones poor grandparent with all that bacteria.
Grr, how can you have so much training and be so thick?
Okay rant over.
Anyway gtg back to labs, writing this in the med school and so a stray nurse may read this over my shoulder and stab me with a needle.

Oh shit, just realised I completely forgot to talk about pigeons. Next time eh?

1 comment: